Primary School P.E. and Sport Funding
Most schools with primary-age pupils receive the PE and sport premium. Schools receive this funding based on the number of pupils in years 1 to 6. Schools with 17 or more eligible pupils receive £8,000 and an additional payment of £5 per pupil. The funding comes directly into school. School Leaders and Governing Bodies are accountable for the impact of this spending.
About the PE and sport premium
"All schools have an critical role to play in supporting all children to live healthy active lives. This is particularly true of primary school where the foundations of positive and enjoyable participation in regular physical activity should be established.
Crucial to achieving this is ensuring that pupils have access to at least 30 minutes of physical activity during the school day, alongside high-quality PE provision taught by confident and knowledgeable teachers and opportunities to experience and participate in a wide range of sports and physical activities. PE and sport premium grant funding should be used by schools towards these aims."
(Information taken from the DFE guidance - sports premium funding)
How to use the PE and sport premium
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of the PE, sport and physical activity they provide.
This means that you must use the PE and sport premium to:
- build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now are sustainable and will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
- develop or add to the PE, sport and physical activity that your school provide
The PE and sport premium to secure improvements in the following 5 key indicators:
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity
- The profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
- Broader experience of a range of sports and physical activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport
How do we use our PE and Sports premium?
This year we have enhanced our outdoor provision with a gym, den building, a stage, scooter track and much more. This has increased their physical activity and team building skills. there are plans to continue to enhance this over the coming year. The early years outdoor provision has also been enhanced and new equipment including bikes purchased.
School has also sourced specialist sports providers to run a range of clubs from hockey to Zumba.
The PE curriculum is being reviewed and training provided to ensure pupils receive a high-quality curriculum with clear progression.
We also have a fantastic forest school's curriculum enabling all our children to complete topic-based learning in the great outdoors and hope to offer a camping experience to some of our pupils in Years 3 and 4 this year.